We've spent our free time in the last week laying the new floor.
First we had to address the issue of the concrete kitchen floor being higher than the floorboards in the old dining room. We did this by laying big green fibreboard underlay squares on top of the floorboards in varying thicknesses
Next came the underlay that William just loved making holes in with his claws (which we've now cut!)
We got the William seal of approval after only a few of the laminate boards went down:
The laminate floor wasn't quite as easy to assemble as suggested by the instructions and is basically impossible for one person to do alone (originally the plan was that Ian would cut the boards and I would fit them together), but once you get the knack it's definitely not worth paying someone else to do it.
This is as far as we got before we had to move the fridge into the middle of the room (ruining photo opportunities until it goes back where it belongs):